Lesson 4
Seek Instruction
If you could have lunch with any living person who would it be? That is a “get to know me” question that is often asked. There are some I would like to spend time with because I think they would make me laugh, like Anita Renfro, the lady who sings “The Mom Song.” But most of the people on my list are wise people I would love to learn from and just a few hours to ask questions would be great!
I have a uniquely personal opportunity to meet each and everyday with my Creator. Sometimes we do laugh. Sometimes I cry. Most of the time, I learn something. We all have this wonderful opportunity. What will we do with it? Part of the joy of being in God’s presence is seeking His instruction and learning from Him.
Read Jeremiah 15:16.
The New Living Translations says “I devoured them.” When was the last time you devoured a chunk of God’s Word? In Psalms 81:10 He promises that if we open our mouth wide, He will fill it!
David spoke of the commandments or Word of the Lord bringing joy to the heart. And meditating on His Word is one way we spend time with Him in His presence.
Read Psalm 19:8 and Psalm 1:1-2.
Proverbs 8:33-34 Listen to My [Wisdom’s] instruction and be wise. Don’t ignore it. Joyful (NIV says blessed) are those who listen to me, watching for me daily at my gates, waiting for me outside my home! For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord. (NLT)
God is wisdom. Am I listening to His instruction? Am I spending time in His Word? Even if I am hearing it, am I doing it, or ignoring His teaching? Do I watch for Him? Am I waiting for Him?
Proverbs 2:6-11 For the Lord grants wisdom! From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity. He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to Him. Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will find the right way to go. For wisdom will enter your heart and wisdom will fill you with joy. Wise choices will watch over you. Understanding will keep you safe. (NLT)
While we are on this treasure hunt, let’s pick up some common sense! Wisdom will enter your heart and fill you with joy. And there is the presence of God again—in His instruction!
Psalm 94:12 Joyful are those You discipline, Lord, those You teach with Your instruction. (NLT)
The last time I checked, my usual response to discipline was not joyful. Chris Rice has a song that says “I’d take no for an answer, just to know I heard Your voice.” That is so true! I have to be in His presence for Him to teach me and discipline me. It is confirmation of God’s presence and His working in my life. Hebrews 12:7 says “Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?” That is how I can be joyful and feel blessed by discipline.
Psalm 119:92-93 If Your instructions hadn’t sustained me with joy, I would have died in my misery. I will never forget Your commandments, for by them You give me life. (NLT)
The NIV has the phrase “been my delight” for “sustained me with joy.” Either way God’s instructions—His Word—is what gets me through the day. It is my life, my delight, and my joy to be in His presence studying the Words He gave me to live by.
Read Proverbs 3:13-18.
More profitable than silver, better returns than gold, more precious than rubies, blessed, joyful, peace…if that doesn’t make you want to seek His instruction, I don’t know what will! I’m going on a treasure hunt!
Heart question:
So what will you do with your uniquely personal opportunity to be in God’s presence every day?
In Jill Savage's post today she talks about having just a snack with God or having a meal with Him. It is an interesting concept. You can read it here.
No comments:
Post a Comment