Thursday, July 15, 2010

Scripture Memory Team 2010 #12

I have written so many mental posts, but haven't had a moment to get them down.  I don't think they are time sensitive so I'll eventually get to them...maybe!  Anyway, this post is the next installment of the Scripture Memory Team.  It is amazing what a little accountablility will do.  Knowing I needed to post a new one today helped me push through when I got stuck on 1 Corinthians 13.  It has been challenging, and I'm nailing down the last part. SweetDoll and I went to camp last week and wouldn't you know the theme was "Live Love!"  God doesn't miss an opportunity to drive it home!  (More on camp later.)  One of the many things I've learned thinking about this chapter is the list of qualities of love in the middle begin and end with love's endurance. 

"Love never gives up..." Just a warning because it is not going to be easy

list of characteristics that make it hard to love--selfishness, coveting, pride, arrogance, overbearing, anger, legalism, gloating, annoyance, criticism--but God calls us to overcome and be loving and to love others anyway

"Love never looks back but keeps going to the end."

When it is difficult to love someone, I need to remember that perseverance is part of it.  And it makes me very thankful for my God's perfect love!  He never gives up on me, even when I'm less than loveable!

OK, on to the next one!  I'm doing Beth Moore's study "Stepping Up."  As part of the study she asked that we memorize Psalm 121 (HCSB). 

I raise my eyes toward the mountains.
Where will my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip;
your Protector will not slumber.
Indeed, the Protector of Israel
does not slumber or sleep.
The LORD protects you;
the LORD is a shelter right by your side.
The sun will not strike you by day,
or the moon by night.
The LORD will protect you from all harm;
He will protect your life.
The LORD will protect your coming and going
both now and forever.

Of course the promise of protection is prominent in this passage.  He knows life is scary and we need Him!  It is a great one to have memorized so He can bring it to mind when I feel attacked.  I get excited about the little things sometimes, and this is one of those cool little facts about this chapter.  This Psalm is so carefully written that in Hebrew there are 58 syllables before and 58 syllables after the phrase translated "Yahweh is your keeper." (The bold portion above.)  When I'm in the thick of the battle I need that reminder that my God, my Protector, is into details.  Whatever or whoever comes into my life is not by accident--they didn't slip in while He was sleeping.  It is God's character to protect me, and He rescues me every time (Psalm 34:19).  So for the next 4 weeks (maybe 6!), I'll be working on these verses.  Join me?

1 comment:

sister sheri said...

In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:33

Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
John 14:23

(I have to admit that I am reflecting on these verses than I am memorizing them.)