Friday, April 4, 2008

Not normal, but blessed!

This week just didn't go like a normal week around our house--and I was so blessed. A friend called last Sunday that her mother was not well at all and they flew her to the Big City hospital. It turned out that her mom had an anurism. A little background...my friend has CP--very intelligent, very loving young lady trapped in a body that just doesn't cooperate and is basically bedridden. Her mom is not only her care taker, but her best friend. My friend and I talk on the phone often, but we don't see each other that much. On Tuesday my friend called and said they had decided to take her mom off the respirator the next morning and asked if I could come be with her at home. I made arrangements to be there. Then she called and said the time was moved up; it would be that afternoon. I left my vacuuming half done, laundry on the floor, gathered my two little ones to take to Meme's, and headed out the door.

I had no idea what to expect. When I arrived there were mutual friends there already praying and loving her. She shared with us that the pastor called from the hospital, and he put his phone where her mom could hear. My friend talked to her and prayed for her. And the peace of God filled the room in a very real way that was noticeable. Their dogs had been nervous and active even calmed down. And a family member at the hospital texted to say that the mom's heart rate calmed while her daughter prayed. What a gift to a daughter who could not be there! There was a circle of friends and family members with my friend and a circle of friends and family members at the hospital. The body of Christ is amazing!

In that time we visited, laughed, cried, prayed. And my friend never once gave up hope that if God chose to, He could heal her mom. All the while knowing that if there was not healing on this earth, there would be in Heaven. I learned later, in the last moments, her dad embraced her mother close, praying in her ear. And the pastor said, "Look at her face. She is looking for you." And her eyes were open and she had a tear. Then she was gone. (The pastor asked a nurse if it was normal for people to open their eyes like that. She said it was very unusual.) I left her house feeling very blessed to be a part of the body of Christ and see Him at work. To know He was so compassionate and met a very real, personal need in a very real, personal way. To see His faithfulness to my friend and know that He always was, always is, always will be faithful and He knows me too.

Today at the funeral, my friend did get to be there. She had taped a message she wanted to share. It was so full of faith strength, peace, hope, and love that so clearly came from the Father. I told her that the pastors who spoke did a fine job, but it could have been over after her part! Grieving with hope--I have heard that, but never seen it so clearly. Yes, this is a terrible situation, but my God is good and He loves His kids and is with them through it all.

No, my week didn't go like normal--but I have been blessed because I've been with God and His children and I know it! Glory to God!

2 comments:

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Oh, thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

Bless you my child for being an instrument of our Father!
Love ya!
Mom