Here is a glimpse of our Christmas blog style...
1. real or fake Christmas tree
Fake...I have enough trouble keeping us healthy without envoking the help of alergies!
2. favorite ornament
I don't have a specific favorite. But I enjoy unwrapping the ones of our first Christmas, the kids' first ornaments, the picture ones, the ones of places we have been (that is our souveneer that we shop for on trips).
3. favorite Christmas song
I love this time of year on the radio! Not so much for SweetHeart--I'll be singing along with harmony, and he says, "Let me guess, you sang that in show choir." Yep! I guess one of my favorites right now is Sandi Patti's Come Let Us Worship the King. I have been practicing signing it for church and it just sets my heart ready to worship! Travis Cotrell's new Christmas CD is high on the list too!
4. favorite tradition
Being with family, whether it is just the five of us or with 25-50 of our closest relatives (yes, seriously). I am thankful for a husband whose family cherishes family too and all are willing to share us with the other side when it is their turn. Other traditions come and go or modify, but this one is constant. If it is the five of us at home, we wear pj's all day, play with new toys, and watch movies.
5. favorite gift ever received
I have thought and thought about this one. I have received many wonderful gifts over the years, but not in particular is jumping to mind (except a razor!). My favorite is watching everyone else open the gift that we got them. The smile on their face or that "this is something I wanted but wouldn't get for myself" look. The kids are great at that "I wanted this my whole life" surprise look. (And they know I love it, so now if I miss it initially they just pose until the flash of the camera!) That is my favorite!
6. favorite Christmas meal
If we are with my side, we usually have the traditional dressing and all the fixings. (Mom makes the best cornbread dressing!) With hubby's side, we might have Mexican pile on because we have traditional meal at Mamaw's the day before. If it is just us, we have pizza! At this point in life, that is my favorite--easy prep, easy clean up, and no complaints!
7. favorite Christmas cookie
Mom, brother and I used to make "Judy's cut cookies" that are the best! I like them before they are iced. My kids like to make "painted cookies." Same cookies, just a different name! YUM! I also look forward to Muddy Buddies (aka Puppy Chow), and chocolate covered pretzels!
8. favorite place to be
With family. We have gone to grandparents', great-grandparents', skiing in another state, or home and we have a good time together.
9. favorite memory
Singing carols with my cousins. SweetBoy telling the Christmas story with the VeggieTales nativity scene, complete with lights off for the scene changes!
One of the funniest memories was going to cut our own Christmas tree with Sweetheart, one of my cousins and her husband. I'm not sure exactly how many rules we broke, but we had a tree that, well, looked better in the forest at dusk! And then there was the year that Sadie, our dog, got sprayed by a skunk on a bitter cold night, so she couldn't stay outside. This year we can add our journey to and from to the "yea! memories" list--tummy troubles and flat tires! It is odd that I try so hard for everything to be perfect and smooth, but the ones that stick in my memory are the ones that weren't so perfect.
10. favorite Christmas movie
White Christmas... and Court Jester. I know, that isn't a Christmas movie, but that is one of the first things I did with the whole last name family when we were dating and it was Christmas time. So it is one that I enjoy seeing this time of year!
OK. I'll have to quit there or I'll get out the picture albums and stir too many memories to tell! It is a very hectic season, but the best part is sharing it with family, and refocusing on what is really important. Jesus, God with us, came to this earth for a purpose. Now what am I going to do with His gift? That should be my focus. More on that tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment