Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas thoughts

Well, here it is Christmas Eve.  I can't believe it!  Later tonight we will be in a crowded house with SweetHeart's extended family and loving every minute of it.  But right now I have a few quiet moments to share.  As we are reading the Christmas story this year, the part that lingers in my thoughts is when Mary "pondered all these things in her heart."  I wonder what her journal entry was that day.  Maybe she was in awe of knowing promises fulfilled and a knowing kind of hope that future promises would be fulfilled.  Maybe an overwhelming feeling of knowing God is with us as she held Emanuel.  Maybe that feeling of Wow, I'm a mom!  So many times I get caught in the maid and nanny role that I forget I'm a mom and that is the most important job I can have.  Maybe a peaceful scared or confident uncertainty--you know how you can be in the middle of chaos and have that calm feeling that only God can bring because He is faithful, He is perfect love, and He is good. This year with all the challenges and change, I'm so thankful that the same Father who was with Mary in that moment is the same faithful, loving, and good God who orchestrates my life. 

What about you?  What is your favorite part of the Christmas story this year?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

Two things struck me from the words of hymns tonight. One was how I wanted to just shout "Rejoice! Rejoice! in O Come, O Come Emmanuel!" and the second was in "What Child is This" when the words say - "Let loving hearts enthrone Him!" That struck me and made me think of how our everyday actions of love help "enthrone Him" and give him the glory. Thanks for sharing. I love the way you write...like a breeze blowing through a window to my soul. Merry Christmas, sister!
Love,
Alyssa

Mom said...

Christmas was different this year... for the first time in 38 years of Christmases together as husband and wife, Daddy and I only had Mema & Papa with us for Christmas morning. How quiet, how different.... we have always had at least one sibling or kid with at least one set of our parents. With a White Christmas, it made it special. We read the Christmas story with Shelly & family and again with Mema & Papaw.... our thoughts on Christmas morning was "Even so, Lord, Come quickly now" Chirst continues to be our only hope!

Amen, Alyssa! Shelly does write like a fresh wind, thanks for sharing!

Love
Mom