Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year!

I cannot believe it is 2010!  Where has the last decade gone!  Oh yea!  I had kids!  It is said that these are the longest days and the shortest years.  Amen to that! 

Well, looking back over 2009, I just have to tell you the most revolutionary thing that happened.  I memorized Scripture for the first time in a long time and it was for more than just a gold star in my Sunday School class at church.  And for longer than just the ride from the house to the church Sunday morning.  Beth Moore challenged her blog buddies (aka Siestas) to memorize 24 Scriptures in 2009.  I wish I had invited you to come along with me on the journey, but I was afraid that I would not have what it takes to get to the end.  Now, I have past that mile marker and am pushing on this year for more.  I can not tell you what a profound impact it has been to impliment that simple discipline of the faith that I had neglected for years.  I knew that God's Word was alive and active in me, and powerful.  But I lived it this year.  With all the challenges and change of this year, I would not have made it without His Word constantly before me and working on my attitude and my heart.  Everytime I would start to fall for the enemies lies, the truth in the verses I was working on would fight the lies away.  He chipped away at them with the Bible studies I was currently in too.  Then a dear friend asked me to pray for her without any details.  I didn't have a clue what she was going through, but I prayed my verses for her and shared them with her.  It was just what she needed.  Isn't God big! 

I'm telling you this not to get a gold star, but to encourage you to do it with me.  This year my big kids are doing it with me (thanks for the nudge, Granny), and just to be consistent with them will be challenging.  We'll be picking a new verse the 1st and 15th of each month if you would like to join us.  It is amazing what a little accountability will do.

Here is my verse to start off this year:
Isaiah 43:10
"You are my witnesses," declares the Lord, "and My servant whome I have chosen, so that you may know and believe Me and understand that I am He.  Before Me no god was formed, nor will there be one after Me.
I have not studied this verse, but I know that it is true in other places.  The phrase "understand that I am He," that he is probably there for english grammar.  It is probably "understand that I AM!"  I love that!

Father, thank You for Your powerful Word.  Thank You that it is alive and active in us because Jesus came and then gave us the Holy Spirit.  Thank You for Beth and her challenge to get started.  Give me the desire to keep going!  Lord, give us a hunger for Your Word then we will taste and see that You are good!  In Jesus' Name...Amen.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Bless you Daughter!

I too have been blessed to learn 24 scripture verses in 12 months!!! I too have prayed & quoted these scriptures not only for myself, but for family members going thru tough times and also mission team members in Africa (2 different places)

I'm in for 2010 ---
Here is my verse
Psalm 134:3 (NIV)
"Lift up your hands in the sactuary and praise the LORD. May the LORD, the maker of heaven and earth bless you from Zion."

I am praying that more will join our challenge.

Thanks a million!
Mom