SweetHeart, SweetBoy, and our ag teacher went down Thursday to get Lightnin entered. Friday SweetDoll, SweetTate, and I made the trek. (SweetDoll has a thing about perfect attendance, and there wasn't much reason not to wait.) When SweetBoy was packing, he cracked me up! He said, "Mom, I want to look professional. Like I totally know what I'm doing and have been here before." During some of their down time Thursday, he got his boots shined...because he wanted to look professional. :) Gotta love my boy!
When we went to the show Saturday, of course SweetDoll and SweetTate had to get theirs done too! They looked like twins sitting up there on the shine stand. The gentleman said he would do it for $5, but I don't think he scrimped on any part of it! (It couldn't have been that people were stopping and taking pictures. He was getting attention for his business! That's fine with me--he did a good job!)
SweetBoy had to show us around all that he and Dad had already scoped out. We saw all kinds of animals, including this buffalo and cute animals at the petting zoo! And we watched a demonstration on milking a dairy cow.
Of course, we had to spend some time in the horse arena. They weren't doing anything super exciting the days we were there, but we saw some beautiful horses!
Mostly we hung out in the sheep barn.
Then it was time to get Lightnin ready. A little exercise.
Bath time!
The weather was absolutely gorgeous! So a walk to air dry worked just fine. SweetBoy needed it as much as the lamb did! He was soaked! And of course, SweetTate and SweetDoll were not far behind!
Saturday we watched some of the fine wool competition. We learned a lot! The judges and staff made it run so smoothly! Oh my goodness, that judge has a difficult job distinguishing between some really good lambs!
Sunday it was SweetBoy's turn in the ring. Meme and Granddad came down to watch with us. There were about 80 in his class. They let in 10 at a time and each exhibitor set up their lamb. The judge came to each one and checked the structure and meat. Then he either pointed to go to be weighed--you made the cut, or he directed you out to the ally. My heart was beating so hard for my son! SweetBoy went to the ally. Snap. After all 80 went through, the judge wanted 25, so he went back to those in the ally for a second look and chose a few more but SweetBoy was done.
Then it was time to say good bye to Lightnin and head home. It was a tearful goodbye. SweetHeart stayed to go through the process of taking Lightnin "to the truck." However, they chose Lightnin to be used for the judging competition later in the week. When SweetHeart asked, "Why this lamb?" They gentleman said, "He has a good finish on him, and he has a good look. He is a good type for the kids to judge." That was encouraging that the my kids had done a good job caring for him. I'm pretty proud of them!
One thing I noticed on the roster was how many siblings were listed. This is a family affair. I can see that in my family. Of course, SweetBoy did the bulk of it, but all three kids helped in some way. The days we have spent going to stock shows have been fun family memories. I'm sure when the younger two are eligible, they will be right there with SweetBoy in the show ring too.
When I gave my brother the report on how we did, he asked, "Is there a plan for another lamb next year?" To which I replied, "A plan...have you met your nephew?! Another lamb...have you talked with him in the last year?! You bet!"

No comments:
Post a Comment