Thursday, February 10, 2011

I heart technology...sort of

My kids get on to me for always being on the computer these days.  I don't think I am, but then I thought about it...my life is on the computer! 

Journal on the computer.
Correspondence is email on the computer.
My part-time job is done almost entirely on the computer.
News and weather on the computer.
Friends on facebook on the computer.
Pictures organized on the computer.
Scrapbooking digital books on the computer.
Valentines--no construction paper here! Just print them off!
(Seriously I might get the construction paper out for this one, if I can find it!)
My grocery list is on the computer!
(I used to feel like a real nerd about that one, but how many of you have a grocery store app on your phone?  My point exactly!)

I'm feeling more attached, like a ball and chain at times, to technology.  I wonder why!  However, it sure does come in handy at times which is the point to my story.

Several years ago I heard that if you let your driver's license expire, then you have to retake the test.  Ugh!  I don't remember how many feet you are supposed to follow the car in front of you!  I just know when I feel like some people are too close!  Anyway, we have moved enough that I never really had to worry about it.  Well, this year mine was expiring and I sure didn't want to go past the deadline.  I thought, "No big deal.  I live in a small town.  I'll just run up there and it won't take long."  But I didn't plan on snow.  Then I forgot the fact that it is only open one morning a week.  Of course I remembered that the evening after it was open.  So I jump on the ol' Internet to see how far I would have to drive in the snow to get this taken care of before I had to take the test again.  I found two very important facts. 

1) You don't have to test again unless it is expired for 2 years.  Whew!
2) You can renew it online if you qualify.  Cross your fingers... yes!

To make a long story short, it wasn't quite as easy as it should have been.  (The system had a glitch in the payment, but it is finally on the way.)  And to top it off, I liked my last picture, so I guess it will be the one on my new one!  Bonus!

Tip: If you would like to also take advantage of this technology, start earlier than the week before.  OK days before!  I had good intentions, but I'm a recovering procrastinator and sometimes it just happens that way.  Thank goodness for technology bailing me out on this one!

1 comment:

sister sheri said...

Shelly - thank you so much for your encouraging words. And we definitely could have met at the SSMTC! Looking forward to next January... but hoping Houston is having a warm spell at that time!

And btw... I feel the same way about technology!