Here's a little background for this week's verse. I've just finished up Beth Moore's book So Long Insecurity. If you have known me long, you are thankful and looking forward to a more secure Shelly--me too. Also, two years ago Mom, Jen, and a few more of our friends went to a Living Proof Live event in San Antonio where Beth taught on Inheritance. She made it into a 9 session video study. I knew the weekend was amazing, and could not wait for the study to be available. I just finished that too and it did not disappoint! It went hand in hand with the So Long Insecurity teaching. One night I just stayed up processing all that I needed to apply to my life. The next morning I felt so much lighter! But I also realize that it is still a process and won't change overnight. I have to learn a new way to think. God has already started this in setting memorizing His Word as a priority. I know I would have been in a pit over the move had I not been thinking about His faithfulness and His love in the verses I was memorizing. In The Inheritance, part of what Beth taught was that we have an inheritance to come in Heaven, but we also have a spiritual inheritance now. Just as the Israelites in the Old Testament inherited the Promised Land and had to go fight for it and possess it, I have property with the boundary lines of my intimacy with God, my past, my life experiences, and spiritual gifing. If I am not deliberately possessing every part of my property, the enemy is standing on it! So my verses for a while will be helping me build my muscles to kick the enemy off the property I had neglected and he was reeking havoc on because of insecurity. He certainly found a weakness and capitalized on it for a long time. But now I know I am an heiress of God, He makes me secure and no one can take that from me! I am clothed with strength and dignity! That is a super brief overview of the view of the journey I'm seeing right now. And yes, it is sweet! That is why I chose this verse:
Psalm 16:5-6
Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup;
You have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
Beth taught this out of the ESV where it says, "I have a beautiful inheritance." You and I both know that not everything in life is pleasant, delightful, or beautiful. But my God, who orchestrates everything perfectly, is more than big enough and good enough to take the heartbreak and hurtful things and work them out for His glory and our benefit. So even with my past, even with my life experiences I can say that I have a beautiful inheritance! Knowing that can change the way I see insults, hardships, and heartache and change the way I react to it. I'm going to need that.
Side note: Last year I memorized the verses just after this, so if 5-6 don't resonate with you, 7-8 might.
Psalm 16:7-8Love you! Hope you have a blessed weekend!
I will praise the Lord, who councels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
No comments:
Post a Comment