Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Monday after Easter

Several years ago I had the opportunity to go on a "Walk to Emmaus" retreat. It was a good experience--if you have ever done it, you know what I mean. They sent us off with the idea of the two friends walking home to Emmaus from Jerusalem on Monday after Jesus had been crucified on Friday and resurrected from the grave on Sunday. Jesus came up and walked with them and explained with Scripture what had just happened. "Now what will you do with it?"


We just finished up The Truth Project and Dr. Del Tackett challenged us with this: "God cares, do I?" Knowing the Truth. Knowing there are so many captives out there caught in the lies. Knowing that God's heart is with them. What am I going to do now? God has placed each of us in this generation in our specific places for a purpose. Wow. What a responsibility. What a privilege!


I can get caught up in a grandiose plan, but this post helps me remember that God works in the little things too. That being a mom and being in the "ministry of availability" to my family and friends is important and very useful to God. After all, it was a mom who packed a little boy's lunch that Jesus used for a miraculous picnic for 15 thousand or so! So I will serve in this family, in this place content to make small contributions to His kingdom, knowing that nothing is small in His hands.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I LOVE it! A mama DID pack that lunch...and to think that Jesus used such a simple thing in a big way. Thanks for the encouragement, Shelly! I love my ministry as a mom!!